Asphalt Shingle Installation
A quality roof is essential to the protection of your family and home. If your roof is damaged, worn, leaking or sagging, you’re likely in need of a new roofing system. New View Roofing is a trusted Dallas roofing contractor with decades of experience in the industry. We specialize in residential roofing services and can expertly recommend the best installation for your property.
All About Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Asphalt shingles are the most common types of roofing materials on residential homes. Designed to protect a house from water, wind, snow and ice, and other weather conditions, these types of shingles are affordable and reliable – and that makes them an excellent choice for roofing materials.
There are several types of asphalt shingles available, including strip shingles, dimensional shingles (often referred to as architectural shingles) and luxury shingles.
- Strip shingles are also known as three-tab shingles because of the way they’re cut. These are the most basic type of asphalt shingles, and they’re made from a single layer of asphalt. These shingles have a very flat appearance, and they’re generally lighter than other types. Strip shingles also cost less (because they’re made from just one layer of asphalt).
- Dimensional shingles are commonly called architectural shingles. They’re sometimes called laminate shingles, too. These are the most common type of shingles – you’ve probably seen them on several Dallas-area homes, and you may even have them yourself. These dimensional shingles are actually made from two to three layers of asphalt, which are fused together to create a thicker, richer, multi-dimensional appearance. Usually, these types of shingles are designed to replicate other materials, like slate or wood shakes. Architectural shingles are heavier than three-tab shingles are, and generally, they come with significantly better warranties.
- Luxury shingles are the highest-quality asphalt shingles available. These types of shingles offer exceptional protection against the elements, and they’re available in a huge range of styles and colors. They tend to create the most realistic replications of wood shakes and slates, as well. They’re tougher than the other types of asphalt shingles as well.
Benefits of Asphalt Roofs
Asphalt roofs can help fight algae growth, resist hail and other environmental conditions, and even sometimes come with cool roof color technologies that help reflect the sun’s heat (and lower homeowners’ energy bills). Asphalt shingles are naturally fire-resistant, too, which means they may be the smartest choice for your home.
You should speak with a professional roofing consultant at New View Roofing if you need to repair or replace your roof – the expert you talk to can help you make the right choices when it comes to materials. We’ll consider your budget and your goals to ensure you’re getting exactly what you need.
How Long Does an Asphalt Roof Last?
A standard asphalt roof can last for 20 to 30 years, though some materials last longer. Generally, a roof’s lifespan depends on several factors, including the quality of the installation, the materials used, the materials beneath the shingles, the types of maintenance you’ve performed on it, whether any repairs have been made, and the types of weather events it’s been exposed to.
If your roof becomes damaged at any point, it’s absolutely essential that you make repairs immediately. The sooner you repair a roof problem, the less likely it is to spiral out of control (and the less it will cost you). If you avoid making roof repairs while problems are still small, there’s a very good chance that the damage will increase – and you’ll become more likely to have to replace your entire roof.
As a general rule, when you see your neighbors start installing new roofs, it’s time to start thinking about yours.
Free Roof Inspection
Regular roof maintenance can extend the lifespan of your roof and save money on a premature replacement. As a trusted Dallas roof repair contractor, New View Roofing will give you peace of mind that your home is protected.
Signs of Damage on an Asphalt Roof
All roofs age, and eventually, they all need to be replaced. However, sometimes roofing materials get damaged – whether it’s due to storms, wind, hail or other conditions, such as flying debris. You should have your asphalt roof inspected by a professional each year, and you should check for these issues periodically on your own:
- Cracked, curled or broken shingles
- Missing shingles
- Water stains on ceilings
- Cracked, blistering or bubbling paint on fascia
- Bald spots on shingles
- Visible leaks inside your home
- Evidence of moisture damage in your attic
Here’s a closer look at each.
Cracked, Curled or Broken Asphalt Shingles
Your asphalt shingles are your roof’s first line of defense, so if they’re cracked, curled or broken, you should call a professional to see how far the damage has gone. You should also make repairs as soon as possible.
A shingle can only do its job – keeping roofing materials dry – if it’s in the right place at the right time. If you have missing shingles, you need to contact a Dallas roofing expert immediately.
Water Stains on Ceilings
Water stains on your ceilings are a pretty good indicator that you have a roof leak somewhere. If you notice brown or yellow rings on your ceilings or walls, head into your attic and see if you can locate the source of the leak – and on your way up there, call the experts at New View Roofing. We can find the source and stop the problem before it becomes any worse.
Cracked, Blistering or Bubbling Paint on Fascia
Cracked, blistering or bubbling paint on fascia – the boards that face outward under your roof line – may mean that your gutters are backed up (or that they were backed up at one time). Although gutters back up from time to time, the problem is that the debris in your gutters can force water into your roofing materials; that can lead to even bigger problems.
Spots on Shingles
Asphalt shingles are covered in tiny granules that help them resist ultraviolet light and shed water. The granules are colored, so if your shingles look like they have bald spots, there’s a good chance that the granules are missing. Check your gutters and the area around your downspouts to see if you find any there – and if you do, call a roofing contractor right away.
Visible Leaks Inside Your Home
Visible leaks inside your home are a definite emergency. It’s incredibly important that you call a roofing contractor to inspect your asphalt roof if you notice water leaking indoors. Roof leaks never get better with time; in fact, they can spiral out of control quickly.
Evidence of Moisture Damage in Your Attic
If you spot evidence of moisture in your attic, such as discoloration, frost or dampness, you may have a leak in your asphalt shingle roofing. It’s a good idea to get in touch with an expert as soon as possible (and certainly before the next time it rains) who can find the source of the leak and correct the problem before it becomes worse.
Asphalt Shingle Roofing: Do You Need a New Roof, or Just Repairs?
It can sometimes be difficult to discern whether you need a new roof. However, these telltale signs are indicators you may need a roof replacement:
- Leaky roof. This is most noticeable when water leaves stains on the interior ceiling of your home. You can also check the attic for stains.
- Storm damage. Damage from wind and hail often shows as cracked, lifted or missing shingles.
- Time. If it’s been over 20 years since your current roof was installed, chances are your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan.
Benefits of Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Aside from providing increased protection against harsh weather conditions, a new roof can greatly benefit your home. Check out these common reasons that help people decide it’s time for a new roof:
- A new roof may increase overall property value. If you’re looking to sell or refinance your home, a roof replacement can give buyers the confidence they need to make an offer. Most buyers know that asphalt shingle roofing will last between 20 and 30 years, so they know they won’t need to make a major investment any time soon if they purchase your house.
- A new roof can enhance your home’s curb appeal. Your home will stand out for its curb appeal and beauty. We have a large selection of shingle options, which means you can customize the way your home looks by choosing the most attractive asphalt shingle roofing materials.
- A new roof may be cheaper in the long run. If your roof is older, you might be spending a considerable amount of money on frequent roof repair and maintenance. Although a replacement is a sizable investment, you most likely won’t need to make repairs for quite some time. Even better, if you properly maintain your roof and choose the right products during your roof replacement, it can last longer than you expect it to.
Do You need to Talk to a Professional About Asphalt Shingle Roofing?
If you need roof repairs or are considering a roof replacement, we can help. Call our office today to speak with an expert on asphalt shingle roofing.